Monday, September 3, 2012

Halloween Treat Bag

Yesterday, I shared some cool treat bags I created with the kids:
I wanted to share a tutorial on how I dyed the middle one orange.

My little guy really likes the ghost from the My Thoughts Exactly set Fright Night Friends, which is why I stamped the ghost on this one.  

Anyway, the lovely owner of MTE sent me these little bags to alter for our current challenge this month. I admit at first I was a little overwhelmed, as I wasn't sure what to do with them, but once I started stamping on them the ideas started flying!

I obviously thought right away, how can I use my Creative Inspirations Paint to add some lovely shimmer to them!! 

I decided to use Mango to dye one of them a shimmer orange!

My jar of Mango didn't have much paint left in it, so I just added some water right into the jar and used a paint brush to stir it up
I then poured the contents of the jar into a zip-lock bag, as well as the fabric bag.

I then scrunched/smashed (not sure what are the right words to use) the zip-lock bag trying to make sure the paint covered the entire treat bag. 

I took the treat bag out, when I thought it was completely covered:

I was already very happy with the results, just look at the shimmer!!

I needed to leave the bag sit for a day to dry.

Then I altered it using stamps!

I used Memento Black ink to stamp the images, but found that it doesn't completely stamp that well on the fabric.  So I then used  my black Zig Pigment marker to go over the lines and make them darker!

Close-up of the shimmery treat bag:

Lastly, and most important.....finish by adding some treats!! :)

In the case of the bat treat bag, I stamped my images on the bag, but instead of going over with my Zig marker, I instead used a tiny paint brush and CI Paint Coal to make the sentiment and bats look better.  And shimmer!! :)
You can see in the above picture that the bat and the "a" in Happy have had shimmer already added to them! 

What a fun project this was!!

These amazing cotton drawstring bags are from State Line Bag Co. !

Have a wonderful day!!


-----------------------

Challenges:
Totally Stampalicious: Anything But A Card
Stamps &  Fun = CREATIVITY: Anything But A Card


11 comments:

jessica said...

Awesome tutorial and LOVE these little bags!!!!
Happy Monday!!!

CityGirl Planners said...

Would you believe I was afraid to stamp on them? Hahaha, I love your bags, they blow mine out of the water! I have a few left, just so you know I am scraplifting this!

ScrappyAndrea said...

Really cool treat bags! WOW!
Thanks for playing with us at SFC!
xxx Andrea

Margaret said...

Reusable treat bags...how cool is that?! Brilliant idea to use the remnants of paint to dye the bag orange and add the shimmery details! I love the subway art design on the first one!

Thanks so much for joining us at Anything But a Card Challenges!

Diana Fernandez said...

This is a wonderful idea! A great way to use up your paints as well! Thank you for joining us over at anything but a card!

Christy said...

Soooo cute and I LOOOVE your technique for painting the bag. I NEVER would have thought of that! :) Thanks for joining us at ABAC :) :)

Julia S-W said...

What wonderful little bags you've made - this is a great idea! You've done a fantastic job stamping on the fabric and I love all the shimmer - well done for getting it to show so well in your photos too! Love the idea that these could be reused too.
Thanks for sharing your work at ABAC's first challenge.
Juliax

Kendra said...

Thanks for the tutorial! Love the sparkle! Thanks for playing along at Totally Stampalicious!

Helene said...

Love your bags! Great Idea!
Thank you for joining the "Alota Rubber Stamps challenge"

MJ's Kraze said...

I love these treat bags. Perfect colors and designs. Thanks for joining us over at ABAC.

Deena said...

These are really cool and i love the way you dyed the bag...the shimmer is amazing too! Thanks for joining us on our debut challenge at Anything But A Card!